SXSW 2009: Ultimate Showdown of Content Management System Destiny
Just like Iron Chef, three teams of three different CMS were given a project with the same specs to see which one could produce it in the same time limit. They wanted to find something that would use a wide variety of web 2.0 tools.
- The project is to build a website for a leadership program.
- Site should utilize a variety of Web-based social networking and collaboration tools.
- Site should be generalized as possible and be able to be downloaded for use by a wide variety of organizations and communities.
- No more than 100 hours
- Only freely-available software can be used, and all sites must be freely.
- Site must function on the provided shared hosting space (Linux/Apache/MySQL).
- Each team had about 2-3 weeks to work on it.
- Drupal: http://www.drupalshowdown.com
79.25 hours, 220 lines of custom code, 180K page weight, 8 HTML validation errors, client liked this 2nd best
- WordPress: http://www.wpshowdown.com
90.5 hours, 1808 lines of custom code, 154K page weight, 8 HTML validation errors, client liked this 3rd best
- Joomla: http://www.joomlashowdown.com
57.25 hours, 20 lines of custom code, 140K page weight, 0 HTML validation errors, client liked this 1st best
You can download all of these sites, screen casts, and usability reports here: http://www.cmsshowdown.com